REMARKS BY THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, RT. HON. FEMI GBAJABIAMILA AT THE INAUGURATION OF THE COMMITTEES OF THE 9TH HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ON THE 2ND OF OCTOBER 2019.
On behalf of the House, I welcome all of you to the inauguration of the Standing Committees of the 9th House of Representatives, and I thank you all for being here today.
2. The legislative committee system is as old as the legislature itself, and it is through these committees that most of the work of the legislature is done, and accomplishments are achieved. Whatever the judgment of history will be for this 9th House of Representatives, whether for good or not, will depend largely on the conduct and the activities of the Committees we are inaugurating today.
3. In constituting these Committees, the leadership of the House of Representatives, has taken time to ensure that members are assigned to Committees that fit perfectly with their legislative interests and priorities, their prior experience and skills as well as the identified needs of the constituencies they represent. It is now left to you; Chairmen and members, to go forward and show yourselves capable of meeting the responsibilities to which you have been assigned and deserving of the mandate which you hold in trust for the Nigerian people.
4. I charge you to be dutiful in the discharge of your constitutional responsibilities of oversight and law-making, taking every care to ensure that at all times your conduct is without reproach, and your service is motivated only by considerations of the best interests of our country. You know as well as I do, that our country for several years has been contending with serious challenges on multiple fronts. From the economy to national security, social justice to healthcare, infrastructure to the environment and climate change, this is a time that calls for determined efforts to achieve substantive reform and ensure that our country can overcome its challenges and take advantage of the opportunities that abound for economic advancement and social development. I trust that as you recognise these realities, your efforts will reflect this recognition, and be motivated by it.
5. Let me use this opportunity to appeal to the Ministries, Departments and Agencies of government for their cooperation and collaboration. It is only through our joint efforts that we can meet the objectives of the administration and keep the promises we have made to the Nigerian people. We in the House of Representatives intend without reservation to exercise the full authority of the legislature as it relates to the oversight of the MDAs. However, our purposes are not punitive, neither are our intentions adversarial, but in furtherance of our shared objectives of national development, peace, progress and prosperity for all. To this extend, we will be fully supporting and empowering our Committees for effective oversight, particularly the Committee on Legislative Compliance.
6. The ad–hoc committees on the Niger Delta Development Commission and that on the Ports and Harbours are to conclude their investigations and submit their reports by Friday the 4th of October 2019. All other ad – hoc committees are to conclude their activities and submit their reports before the 14th of October 2019. I thank the Chairmen and members of these ad–hoc Committees for their dedication and a job well done. Already, the House has begun to act on some of the issues they have unearthed and the recommendations they have made. These efforts will continue through the respective Standing Committees.
7. Let me say once more that the job of nation-building is a joint task and the ambitions we have for our country can only be achieved through the dedicated efforts of every citizen, especially those of us elected officials in whom our fellow citizens have invested their hopes, their dreams and their expectations of a better life for themselves and a better future for their children. We must never lose sight of this reality as to do so will be a betrayal of our commitments to God and country.
8. I congratulate all of you, Chairmen, Deputy Chairmen and Members of the Standing Committees of the 9th House of Representatives, and I wish you success in your new assignment
9. By the powers vested in me through the Constitution and house Rules, I hereby inaugurate the Committees of the House of Representatives.
10. Once again, thank former Presiding Officers, former Principal Officers and Members, former Clerks, Service Chiefs, MDAs represented and all lovers of democracy for your attendance.
11. Thank you.